1. Choose the spot (outside or in your house where pad will be )- where you would like your puppy to eliminate.
2. Keep your puppy in his /her crate, pen area or even thethered to a chair where you are working. Your puppy cannot have free run of the house at this early stage, he must be confined. Every 60 minutes take the puppy straight to the designated area either outside or inside. Carry your puppy or walk on a leash. When you reach the area walk back and forth or circle around and around. At the same time say and repeat the cue word you like to attch to the acto fo the dog eliminating. I use "potty" but just pick out a cue word and stick with it. In you dogs mind you are buidling an association between the cue "potty" and him emptying out. This is the first obidence comman you will tach your young pup.
3. If your pup does elimate continue to repeat your cue ward and instant finished doing his business enthusiastically praise and reward him with a small tasty treat ( I like sweet Cherrios) Make it clear that your are very ahppy with hi and that he is the best little puppy on the block! If after 3-4 minutes of circling around your puppy shows no signs of needing to elminate take him back inside (putting in his crate or area) and try again in about 20 minutes.
4. Immediately after a successful elimating trip outside you can allow your puppy some free play time (under supervision) in the house. Just spend some time enjoying the company of your puppy, ususally 30 minutes , then place him back in this crate or pen area.
5. Continue with teh 60 minute puppy house training schedule, you'llbe rewarded for sticking to it. Remember that you are trying to Prevent any mistakes and at the same time establish good habits in your little puppy.
6. What about overnight? Yes well, firstly do not feed your puppy close to bedtime and take away his water before you go to bed (don't forget to put it back in the morning). You'll need to set your alarm to go off once or twice during the night. This is an important step, just tacke your puppy out or to the area as usual and then hop back in bed. When your puppy is young it is physcially impossible for him to hold on all night, but before long you will both be sleeping peacefully right through the night. If your not willing to get up at ight provide the puppy with a washable pee pad.